Friday 7 August 2015

Book Review - Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella

Wedding Night
 
Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
Published: 27th February 2014
Publisher: Black Swan
Pages: 460
Available in Paperback and on Kindle
 
 
 
Blurb
What do you do when you think your sister's about to marry the wrong man?
 
It's all gone wrong with the man Lottie thought was Mr Right. Then out of the blue she gets a call from her first love. She decides it must be Fate, and rushes off to marry him and rekindle their sizzling Greek island romance.

Lottie's older sister can't believe she's doing something so crazy. No more Ms Nice Sister, she's stopping this marriage. Right away! And she'll go to any lengths to do so...
 
 
Review
 
Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella is a book which has sat on my shelf for just over a year, I find her books hugely enjoyable and so was saving this one for something special, I chose to read this post honeymoon to extend that loved up glow I’ve got inside but sadly this book let me down a little. It is a good story with some very funny moments but I didn’t feel to truly engage with either of the two main characters Fliss and Lottie which left me struggling with this book at times.
Fliss and Lottie Graveney are sisters who couldn’t be in more different places on the romantic front. Lottie is loved up with Richard and is convinced he’s on the verge of proposing. While sister Fliss is very bitter from her impending divorce with husband Daniel. When Lottie’s dream proposal goes horribly wrong, she ends up splitting from Richard as he embarks on a three month job in San Francisco, leaving Lottie on the edge of a meltdown. Having being here before Fliss readies herself for her sisters next big “Unfortunate Choice”, however this time even she is unprepared for Lottie’s actions…she’s only got an married her teenage sweetheart Ben and is planning sizzling honeymoon back where they met on the Greek isle of Ikonos. Can Fliss save Lottie from herself and how far will she actually go to do so?
Wedding Night is told from a dual perspective of both sisters, this I did enjoy as it gave more insight into the events which were happening and we also saw both sisters’ weaknesses through the eyes of the other. However I just couldn’t seem to connect with either sister. I found Lottie to be impulsive and living in some kind of dream world where being married  and having amazing sex is the only thing that counts and to be honest a just wanted to slap her. Fliss I liked slightly better as its obvious Daniel has wrecked her heart and she doesn’t want her younger sister to feel the same pain. However I felt the measures she went to keep Ben and Lottie apart were extreme and bordering on lunacy. I wanted her to get a grip and just let Lottie get on with making her own mess.
This book does have some funny moments which I enjoyed, mostly centred on Fliss’s son Noah and his misunderstanding of the adult conversations. My favourite part is when Fliss has to produce a model balloon for Noah’s school out of the contents of her handbag and end up using condoms as the balloon! Loved it!
Despite finding the plotline of this novel a bit ridiculous and far-fetched I did enjoy it, however I wasn’t as hooked as I normally am with a Sophie Kinsella novel as usually I’m hooked from the first page, with this one it was about half way through when I began to enjoy it.  If you looking for a light-hearted fun read then this could be for you, if you’re a Kinsella fan you may feel a little disappointed as I feels it lacks the Kinsella magic in many of her other books.
I’d give this book a rating of 3/5.


No comments:

Post a Comment